Super quick post to share a recipe I was experimenting with this morning.
I like to spend Sunday’s preparing for the week ahead, food/cooking, washing, clothes for the week, pretty nails etc – all the things that I run out of time to do during the week (so I can spend more time sleeping and less time up late organising stuff!).
I call this one “protein slice” – exciting name huh. It tastes a lot better than the boring name may suggest 🙂
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup pecans (or other nut if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond butter (or cashew or whatever you have at home)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp honey (can leave out if don’t want to add sugar)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dried fruit – I used dried cranberries and blueberries
- Extra shredded coconut for on top
1. Toast coconut and nuts under grill until golden.
2. Pulse toasted coconut and nuts in blender until like coarse breadcrumbs.
3. Melt coconut oil and almond butter. Add vanilla and honey and add to coconut/nut mixture.
4. Add almond flour and mix till combined.
5. Add egg and mix.
6. Fold in dried fruit (and maybe a wee bit of dark choc if you are that way inclined ;)). Could also drizzle choc on top after? I am yet to try that.
7. Press into greased slice/loaf tin.
8. Bake for 10-15mins at 160 degrees. Sprinkle shredded coconut on top for the last 5-10 mins of baking and leave until golden. Once cool cut into squares and enjoy 🙂
Approx macro content per piece: